Monday 30 April 2012

Links and Intrigues

JEFF
NOON

If we back track a little to the beginning of this project, I began by reading some of Jeff Noon's literature. Noon is a Manchester based author, whom sets most of his narratives within the city of Manchester. 
I started by reading the novels, Vurt and Pollen, two books that link onto one another, furthering and exploring the futuristic version of Manchester that he portrays.

With Noons writing, it is not so much the concepts that he writes about that fascinates me so much but rather how he writes, his imaginative use of language, his repetition and a very keen knowledge. He puts sentences together that conventionally don't make sense but through his intellect of the said topic, he has the ability to send your imagination running wild. 


Point of Interest;;,
His second book that i was to read, Pollen, which is the predecessor to Vurt, plays with the theme of plant life and pollen taking over Manchester, brought through from the dream world with the intention of changing the map, bringing with it mass hay-fever and havoc. 

I am not interested in basing my project upon a fictional novel, as I need to be more personally entwined with the subject. But i cannot shake the wonder of Noons writing and how he connects it with the city.

Therefore
I intend to play with certain aspects of his fiction,
Feature;;Pollen.

I have began to extract every line from the novel through tracing which features words concerning the pollen invasion of Manchester,,. Due to the nature of tracing and building a narrative with it, I have constructed it in such a way that you get an ordered muddle of events. Tracing the line of text and keeping it at the same place on the sheet of tracing paper as it is on the book, allowing the filling of the tracing paper to create a confusion, a new tale.

Feature;;ExamplePollen

""No, no. In his mind. Like an explosion . . . a burst of flowers . . . l . . ." . . . the flowers are dancing . . . dancing . . . The smell of flowers coming from a nearby garden. May John Barleycorn find you desireless. Reaching instead for one of the flowers in Coyote's mouth. I could feel where the roots of the plants were embedded in his throat muscles."

I hope to continue this throughout the entire book, seeing what I can build from it and what i can take out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment